Frequently Asked Questions
1. Q: How long has Tutor Scholar been in operation?
A: We have been in operation since 2015.
2. Q: Will it be the same tutor coming every time?
A: Yes, it will be the same tutor unless circumstances change, at which time we would assign another tutor.
3. Q: Are the tutors certified teachers?
A: Our tutors are not necessarily certified teachers. We require that our tutors have went through the Canadian curriculum, have at least a Bachelor's degree from a post-secondary institution in the subject matter they are tutoring and have at least 2 years of tutoring experience.
4. Q: Do the tutors have Vulnerable Sector Checks/Screens since they may be tutoring minors?
A: Yes, all of our tutors have obtained Vulnerable Sector Checks/Screens in which their records do not indicate any offences.
5. Q: How soon can I get a tutor?
A: We require at least 48 hours notice.
6. Q: How soon after I make a payment can I get a tutor?
A: After you make a payment, we require at least 48 hours before we can assign a tutor.
7. Q: What are the tutoring hours of operation?
A: Our tutoring hours of operation are Monday to Friday from 4:00pm to 10:00pm and Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00am to 10:00pm. Hours may be flexible.
8. Q: After I book a Session Package, if I want to add more sessions per week, can I do so?
A: Yes, you can. The cost would be at the same rate of the current Session Package.
9. Q: Can I change the Session Package after my current Session Package finishes?
A: Yes, you can book any Session Package you like.
10. Q: How is payment taken?
A: We take e-transfer (no fee), credit card over-the-phone (3.50% fee), credit card online-via-PayPal (3.50% fee) or PayPal (3.50% fee). We do not accept cash payment.
11. Q: If I am not satisfied with the tutor, will the tutor be changed?
A: If you are not satisfied with the tutor, we will change the tutor.
12. Q: What is your refund policy?
A: In regards to tutoring, If you decide that you would like to discontinue tutoring for any reason, we will refund your payment minus a $50.00 deposit. The $50.00 deposit will be waived if we determine that the tutoring was not rendered appropriately. In regards to online credit courses, please note that there are no refunds. Students can however request in writing to transfer to another available course within 7 days of their initial, completed registration provided that they have not attempted any of the course evaluations and that they have the prerequisite for the course they wish to transfer into.
13. Q: What is the protocol if either the student or tutor cannot make the session due to illness or inclement weather?
A: If a session needs to be cancelled due to illness or inclement weather, the tutor will provide a make up session in the same or following week, at a day and time that is mutually agreed upon with the client.
14. Q: What is your cancellation policy?
A: In regards to tutoring, we require 24 hours notice for a cancellation prior to the time of the tutoring session, otherwise we will have to charge for the full amount of the scheduled session.
15. Q: How does online learning work?
A: Once you register through our website, and make your payment, we will email you with information on the next step in the registration process. Once your registration is complete, you will have 24/7 access to your online course. Use your username login and password to access the learning management system. Then, at a pace suitable to your learning, you can progress through the interactive lessons, and practice quizzes. When you are ready you can complete the unit evaluations and submit them into the drop box for your teacher to evaluate and provide feedback. All unit evaluations are completed and submitted online. You can type out your answers, do them on paper and scan them or take a picture of your handwritten work as submission of the evaluations, whatever means you are comfortable with. After you receive a grade and feedback, you can then proceed to the next unit and so forth until the course is complete. At the mid-point in the course, you will be mailed a first report card, and upon completion of the remaining units and the proctored final exam you will be mailed a final report card.
16. Q: If I am in another province or in another country, can I still take an online credit course?
A: Yes. You are able to take any course(s).
17. Q: Can I take a course in the summer?
A: Yes, courses are available year-round, meaning you can register and start anytime!
18. Q: How long does it take to do an online course?
A: One of the greatest features of online learning is the flexibility it provides in allowing you to customize your schedule to complete the course at your own pace. Course progress is measured on the completion of the assignments, discussions and summative evaluations. You can login to your course and learn at home any time and at any pace. Students are eligible to write the final exam after completing the minimal number of hours. For example: studying a few hours a day will enable you to complete the course in just four weeks. If you require a slower pace you can take up to 12 months to complete a course.
19. Q: Are there any hidden or additional costs?
A: Depending on the course you are enrolling; a $100 textbook deposit may be required, and this fee will be returned to you after you return the textbook.
20. Q: If I am registered as a full-time or part-time student at a regular high school, can I still take an online credit course?
A: Absolutely. Students do not require permission from their regularly attended day school or school board to take any course. When you have successfully finished the course, you will receive a copy of the report card and a second copy will be forwarded to your day school. Your day school will then add this credit to your ongoing transcript. Upon request, your marks can also be forwarded directly to the Ontario University Application Centre (OUAC). There is no charge for this service. All OSSD high school credits are the same regardless of means of delivery.
21. Q: Will my marks be sent to OUAC/OCAS and my day school?
A: Yes, your marks can be sent directly to OUAC, OCAS, and your day school. Just make sure to provide your OUAC/OCAS number when you request your report card. There is no extra charge for this service.
22. Q: What is the role of the teacher?
A: The primary responsibility of the teacher is that of a facilitator, one who supports all learners to be successful in the course. Teachers assist student by answering questions via email, monitoring threaded discussions and chat topics, providing valuable feedback on evaluations and providing multiple opportunities to demonstrate learning.
23. Q: Are the online credit course teachers Ontario Certified Teachers (OCT)?
A: Yes, the online credit course teachers are Ontario Certified Teachers (OCT).
24. Q: What do I need to get started?
A: You will need a computer, tablet or a cellphone with high-speed internet; however our course content runs better on a PC or Mac.